Cavity Varnish is the mixture of two or more than two resins and the main function of Cavity Varnish is to act as a barrier for the freshly cut dentinal tubules. Cavity Varnish is applied on the walls of cavity and after some time this leaves a thin film on the surface of cavity as the liquid undergoes vaporization. Cavity Varnish works as a barrier beneath the restoration so as to prevent the transportation of all the sensations to the tooth.
Functions of Cavity Varnish
- Cavity Varnish When placed beneath the fresh restoration it reduces the chances of micro leakage and thus the chances of having sensitivity are low.
- Another function of Cavity Varnish is to block the way of irritants from the restorations to the tooth.
- In amalgam restorations the corrosions products that are released by it are also prevented to get penetrate in the tooth by Cavity Varnish.
- Fluoride containing Cavity Varnish also releases some fluoride products that prevent secondary caries to occur.
Cavity Varnishes mainly comes in liquid consistency and they are stored in dark coloured bottles.
Contents of Cavity Varnish
The main content is the organic solvent like alcohol or ether etc that have some resins like copal resin, natural gum dissolved in this solvent.
In addition to this there are some medicinal agents like chlorbutanol, thymol and eugenol present in Cavity Varnish.
Main properties regarding Cavity Varnish
Cavity Varnish are least soluble and they are also insoluble in distilled water and also the film thickness is very thin and it ranges between 2-400um.
Procedure of Cavity Varnish
Cavity varnish after getting out from the bottle is applied with the help of some brush, cotton pellet or can be applied with the help of wire loop. The Cavity Varnish is to be applied in layers and the way is to apply one layer, let it dry properly and then applies the next layer. There is total need of about 5-6 layers to complete the procedure and the layer wise manner is important to cover up all the voids that appear in the dried layer.
Precautions while using Cavity Varnish
-Always put the cap on bottle after and while using the Cavity Varnish as it can undergoes vaporization very easily.
-Very thin consistency of Cavity Varnish in layers should be applied as the holes can make the way to sensitivity.
-Removal of excess of Cavity Varnish is very necessary for the technique sensitivity of the procedure.
Contraindications for Cavity Varnish
- Composite Resins.
- Glass ionomer cement.
- Zinc Oxide eugenol and Calcium Hydroxide.
For free consultation, contact this online dentist, through comments.