Most of the population in this world fears from going to the dentist. If you are the one having Dental Phobia then you should not think that only you are the one having thoughts like it is better to die rather to visit a dentist.
Dental Phobia occurs only at the thought of some bad dentist and hygienist performing painful procedures on you. But the good news is that most percentage of dentists nowadays is making more efforts to comfort the patient so as to reduce the Dental Phobia. Good communication skills, their kindness and gentleness in explaining the procedures and stress free treatment are some of the enhancing points of today’s’ Dentists.
Why Dental Phobia Occurs?
Dental phobia occurs due to direct situations or indirect ones.
Direct situation involves personal experiences only. Having a bad past experience from a dentist increases the chances of having Dental Phobia even on the imagination of getting treatment done by a dentist in the future. But with this sort of Dental Phobia, one can get the worst oral conditions by escaping the dentists for many years.
Indirect situation involves the experience of others. Like the bad experiences of your friends, relatives and parents increase your Dental Phobia. Dental talks spread faster than any other as these procedures are technique sensitive.
The other main cause of having Dental Phobia is improper numbness of the area for which the patient has to suffer from lots of pain while undergoing the treatment.
Dos for Patients to reduce Dental Phobia
• Hear some music to get escape from the loud dental noises.
• Concentrate on watching some movie as most of the dental rooms have monitor on ceilings.
• Sit with your back straight to comfort yourself.
• Find a clinic having lots of views through windows.
Dos for Dentists
• Use of medication to reduce Dental Phobia.
• Use topical anaesthesia prior to use of needle.
• In spite of needle use during Scaling and Root Planning use numbing rinse.
• Use anaesthetic gel where it is required.
With the help of your dentist you can get out from your Dental Phobia.
Share your Story
If you had suffered from Dental Phobia in the past please let the others know how you came out so as to inspire them.