What is Dental Splinting?
Dental Splinting is the joining of two teeth or more than two into the immovable unit for a limited time by the means of removable or fixed restorations or devices.
The main motive of the Splinting is to promote the healing and to increase the comfort and function. There are two aspects of regarding Splinting based on its benefits or loss.
-This can create the room for plaque accumulation and thus there can be more damage.
-Due to the loss of movement that has to be there for Splinting, this can results in tooth union with bone or may lead to fibrous union with fibers that can create more problem.
-Since the mobile teeth get splinted to the neighboring healthy one, this leads to reduction in their mobility while chewing when excess pressure is to be there.
-Non mobile teeth heal at a high speed than the non-mobile one.
Splints can be Temporary, Provisional or Permanent. Temporary are the one which has to be worn for less than 6 months. Provisional are the one which has to be worn ranging from the time period of months to several years. And those which are to be used for indefinite time period are the Permanent Splints.
Indicated in following cases
- 1. To reduce the minor or major mobility of teeth and this can’t be obtained by any other means.
- 2. When there is interference of tooth with normal functions.
- 3. It also facilitates scaling and surgical procedures in the compromised teeth.
- 4. Stabilizes teeth after getting done with Orthodontic treatment.
- 5. Stabilizes teeth after acute dental trauma.
- 6. In order to prevent drifting of the teeth.
- 7. Prevent the outer movement of the unopposed teeth.
Contraindications of Splinting
- 1. Moderate to severe tooth mobility where there is loss of periodontal tissues.
- 2. Insufficient number of healthy teeth so as to hold the mobile teeth.
- 3. Patient does not care about the oral hygiene then this option can be the bad.
Requirements of Splinting
There should be sufficient number of healthy teeth to get the hold on the mobile ones. Splinting requires the strongest teeth.
There should be proper movements of the lips, cheeks and tongue. The dental splinting should be done as a way so that there should be proper procedure for elimination of plaque accumulation.
As this is the modern era, the splinting should provide proper esthetic and also it should not interfere with any of the function of oral cavity.
Dental Splinting is the one that is the last try to reduce the movement of the tooth or teeth that mostly occurs due to trauma during accidents or due to periodontal loss. But proper care should also be taken to reduce the plaque accumulation and the oral hygiene maintenance should be always there.